March 14, 2011

A few things about pregnancy weight


It's a relief to know that even though I have gained more pounds than I was actually hoping to gain with this pregnancy, it's not a gloomy forecast for post-pregnancy weight loss.

According to The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the recommended weight gain for women with a normal weight before pregnancy, yoohoo that's me, a gain of 25 to 37 pounds is actually normal.

Whew! That is good to know!  So far I've gained 31 pounds and I still have 6 weeks to go.  I know that a very tiny portion of that weight gain has been my controlled, but still not recommended, consumption of sweets during my pregnancy.  I have blogged before that I'm usually not a sweets person, but this belly has me craving for sugar like it's the food of the Gods, and it's the only thing that soothes my indigestion and heartburn-prone stomach.  

So let's take a look at the estimated distribution of weight gain during pregnancy:
  • 7 1/2pounds is about how much the baby will weigh by the end of pregnancy.
  • 1 1/2pounds is how much the placenta weighs.
  • 4 pounds is attributed to increased fluid volume.
  • 2 pounds is the weight of the uterus.
  • 2 pounds is the weight of breast tissue.
  • 4 pounds is because of increased blood volume.
  • 7 pounds is attributed to maternal stores of fat, protein and other nutrients.
  • 2 pounds for the amniotic fluid.
For a total of 30 pounds.


Remember this is just an average; you and your health care provider need to decide what is best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment