November 24, 2011

A Thanksgiving Tale


I confess I'm kind of excited about celebrating Thanksgiving. For the first time, I actually look forward to it. Maybe because it will be our first with our new baby daughter, Emilu. My husband is a second generation American, so his parents adopted this holiday. For me Thanksgiving was as abstract as a Picasso' s painting.  Now it will be a holiday my daughter will celebrate and I better start creating memories for her. 

While many of you celebrate this holiday in style with all the stops and whistles, for my family (mom and pops and brother) this holiday has a more quiet meaning. One Thanksgiving Day morning, 30 years ago, back in the DR my mom was feeding my newborn baby brother, who suffered from choking syndrome, when he suddenly stopped breathing.  She ran out the door with the baby in arms, and rushed to my grandmother's house (who lived across the street) screaming and in panic.  The baby was turning blue, my grandmother took him and ran to get a doctor, a neighbor who lived a block from my grandmother's.  He was the owner of the local baseball team, and was having a Thanksgiving luncheon in honor of the American baseball players playing the winter league that year. 
Source: google.com via Shae on Pinterest

My mother's OBGYN was there too. He had delivered my baby brother, and together they took the baby to his clinic. They drove like maniacs across town. When they arrived at the clinic, they gave him oxygen and other things, and he started breathing again. The joke was he had never delivered the same baby twice, until that moment. The whole ordeal lasted about 20 min. enough to cause brain injury. Everyday she prayed and watched him closely. But he turned out fine.  We give thanks for that. Thanksgiving is a day to celebrate our blessings. What are you thankful for?

3 comments:

  1. You really had a reason to celebrate yesterday, loved your story! Have a really nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed im most grateful for being a mother to my baby daughter. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a significant thing to be thankful for, and definitely cause for celebration each year. I'm thankful for the wonderful people in my life, access to education, and all the many material blessings I am fortunate enough to have encountered.

    ReplyDelete