June 29, 2011

Sleepless in Washington

When Emilu came home with us she wasn't staying asleep.  She also cried so loud I was afraid she would get a hernia.  With the help of our pediatrician we realized she was hungry.  Breastfeeding clearly wasn't enough, so we had to introduce formula with a dropper.  But when she turned 5 weeks, she decided she didn't like to sleep on her back.  She wouldn't stay asleep for five minutes.  We tried the side position, we propped pillows around her but nothing worked.  Then one day, I placed her on her tummy and she slept for four hours straight!  Since then she has been staying asleep for longer.  Babies need their rest, they need to sleep 3-4 hour stretches in REM for brain development. Do I worry about Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)?  Yes, some.  But the statistics are so low and the evidence so sparse, I prefer her brain to develop healthy and strong. Besides I'm always policing her sleep and naps. During my mother's time, the tummy position was prevalent.  It was believed that babies could choke on their own spit-up if they were on their backs. For those of you that have children did you ever placed them on their tummies?  I would love to hear what you think was best for you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment