March 7, 2012

In the kitchen

{Argentinian baked empanadas}


I eat empanadas all the time.  It's one of my favorite appetizers.  When I visit Miami, my dad buys a bunch of them for Saturday's brunch from an Argentinian market around the house.  I always eat the spinach ones, but the onion, olives and cheese one it's to die for.  So, in the spirit of Saturday brunch in my house, and just because the days are getting warmer, I have decided I want to bake my own version, and this recipe from La Buena Vida is the perfect one to try.  This recipe is for caprese, and celery, onion and blue cheese empanadas, but really, you can stuff them with anything you like.  That's the beauty.  Buen provecho!




Makes one dozen (6 caprese, 6 celery & blue cheese)

for Celery & Blue Cheese Filling

2 stalks of celery
 half of a yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic blue cheese (Roquefort or Danish blue cheese)
butter




for Caprese

 2 ripe tomatoes
fresh mozzerella
fresh basil
S+P

Saute diced onions, garlic and celery in butter lightly till tender, about 4 minutes. Season and remove from heat, allow to cool. Spoon in about 2 tablespoons of filling and the blue cheese. For the caprese, chop tomatoes removing the seeds and discarding any liquid. Place inside and lay a few pieces of torn basil and cubed mozzarella, season. For Dough I used this recipe from Epricurious Place ingredients in the center of the rolled empanada dough. Fold over dough and pinch the edges with your fingers or a fork to seal. Make two small incisions in the top of the dough. Brush with one beaten egg and place into a preheated 400 degree oven. Bake for 20-25 till crispy and nicely browned. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Que Rico!

{Images and recipe courtesy of La Buena Vida}

1 comment:

  1. I think spinach is good in ANY way and form :-)And Empanadas are yummy, I wish I had some to eat righ now.

    Hope you had a nice weekend brunch Patricia! My weekend was kind of lost, because I'm so post-influensa-tired. Hope to get more energy next week!

    Love Maria

    ReplyDelete